Sunday, March 7, 2010

Delicious Tease Day #22: Mary Wine


First of all, thanks to everyone who came out for the booksigning yesterday. Shayla and I had a great time meeting all of you :)

Today's guest, Mary Wine, is kind of a Renaissance woman-- she can do just about everything. Not only is she a talented writer, but she is the MOST amazing costume designer I have ever been lucky enough to meet. Seriously, her period costumes are absolutely incredible. Anyway, she's here today to talk about her newest book, In the Warrior's Bed-- and isn't that a fabulous cover???? Make sure to comment-- she's giving away two copies to two lucky winners!

Blurb-
In this irresistible follow-up to her captivating debut, In Bed With a Stranger, Mary Wine revisits the McJames clan–their loves, their battles, their conquests…
Cullen McJames will not have his honor sullied, certainly not by his clan’s nemesis Laird Erik McQuade. So when McQuade tells the Court of Scotland that Cullen has stolen his daughter’s virtue, Cullen steals the daughter instead.Since his brother wed a fetching lass, Cullen’s been thinking he too needs a wife. A marriage could end the constant war between the clans. And looking on Bronwyn McQuade but once has put her in his dreams for a week…
But Bronwyn won’t go quietly. She won’t be punished for what she did not do. Nor is she eager to live among the resentful veterans of McQuade wars. And however brave and beautiful a man Cullen may be, he has much to learn about a woman’s fighting spirit. But as Bronwyn will discover, he has much to teach her as well.
Excerpt-
He was, too. It stunned her, such caring from a man her father called enemy. There was honest sincerity in his eyes and it made him far more attractive than she’d already decided he was. It was so tempting to sink into that feeling and allow it to wrap around her. But how did she trust this man who had hauled her away from her family? She was his prize, nothing more.
“I won’t marry ye.” It was the only threat she held.
His eyes narrowed when her words hit him.“Then ye’ll watch our first child be baptized a bastard.”
Bronwyn gasped. She reached out before her stunned mind started working again, her hand delivering a sharp slap to his arrogant face. The sound was startling in the quiet room, but Cullen grinned at her, sending her temper into a full blaze again.“That is a mean-hearted thing to say to a woman. It’s the mother that is called slut when a babe is born out of marriage.”
“Is that so?” His expression was guarded.
“It is.”
“And yet I am the one saying that we should marry now, afore our child is conceived.” He paused, running his eyes down her length to pause on her flat belly. “If ye refuse me, ye’ll have no one save yerself to blame when the gossips call ye a scarlet woman.”
Her eyes narrowed. The man was far too cunning, but she refused to be trapped by his scheme. “I am no planning on having yer child. Why do ye think I refused to tell ye my name? I am no interested in ye. Not a bit.”
She propped her hands on her hips, making a stand that she couldn’t truly back up. If the man was of the mind to force himself on her, there was little she might do to stop him. A twinge of something that felt like disappointment pierced her heart. She didn’t want to think of Cullen as a man who would rape her. Which was ridiculous. The man had kidnapped her. She had no reason to think highly of him. Better to expect the worst; it would hurt less that way.
“No a bit?” His lips twitched, rising into another grin that annoyed her. “Well now, it seems to me that ye were blushing back on that hillside. Just like ye are now.”
She covered her cheeks with her hands and they were hot. “It is nae more than my temper.”
“’Tis much more.”
He reached out in a motion so fast she stumbled trying to avoid his hand. She straightened up against the wall, any further retreat impossible, and his arms plenty long enough to span the distance between their bodies. His hand pushed her loose, flowing chemise flush against her body. But he did it with absolute control. There was no bite of his superior strength, only perfectly applied pressure. He cupped one breast, his thumb gliding across the hard point of her nipple.
“If ye are nae interested, why is yer nipple hard?” His opposite hand pressed flat against the wall behind her, caging her between his arms.
The knowledge that he could handle her more roughly held her in place to preserve the small distance he granted her. She stiffened as his thumb rubbed her nipple. Never once had she believed that so small a touch, so tiny a contact between two people, might spark such a torrent of sensation. It flooded her, shaking her with its intensity.
“I am cold, ye daft man. Ye stole me in my chemise.” And she was a liar, god forgive her.
“I’ve noticed that, fair Bronwyn. ‘Tis the truth that I’ve enjoyed the sight of ye.” His lips formed a sensuous expression that was sinfully carnal. “It kept me alert all night long knowing how bare ye were beneath that McJames kilt.”
“Exactly the sort of thing a blackard would say. Have ye no decency?” She sounded too desperate for her taste but she was running short on reasons to deny him. Her life at Red Stone was nothing so wonderful. A ragged breath shook her, warm delight flowing through her. It was for sure that no man wearing her father’s colors had ever made her blush
.“I’m not the one refusing to wed. I believe most would say that I’m behaving correctly by insisting that we go to church and marry. Before temptation gets the better of us both.”
He chuckled, leaning closer. She felt the brush of his breath against her lips now and her mouth went dry. His lower lip quivered in anticipation, her gaze lowering to his mouth as she wondered what his kiss would be like.“It will be my pleasure to help ye warm up.”
His voice was husky and dark with promise. His thumb moved once more across the top of her nipple. The hand on the wall moved, capturing the back of her head, his fingers threading through the strands of her unbound hair. Her hands sprang up between them, pushing against the hard wall of his chest. He took her mouth, sealing her gasp inside. He tasted her lower lip with the tip of his tongue before invading her mouth. The hand on the back of her head held her in place while he tilted his to the side so that their lips met.
She jerked in his embrace, out of sheer surprise. There were too many signals rushing through her, too many sensations to understand. When her back left the wall, his hand slid smoothly around her body. Her skin hummed with enjoyment, everywhere he held her. Beneath her hands, she felt the steady beat of his heart. Her fingertips joined her lips in discovering a bounty of pleasurable sensations that she’d never experienced before.
His lips pressed hers open, demanding a deeper intimacy while he pulled her up against his body. Heat flared through her. She twisted, attempting to understand why she liked his kiss so much. Her body urged her to return it, move her mouth in unison, to taste him.A soft moan got past their joined lips.She was leaning back against the wall again a moment later. Cullen’s hands pressed flat on either side of her head, imprisoning her without touching her.
A dangerous look flickered in his eyes, one that reminded her of a predator that needed only one move from her to trigger the instinct to pounce.But he was breathing as hard as she was. She placed a hand on his chest before thinking about it, acting on the impulse. Her fingertips pressing against his warm skin and feeling the hard beat of his heart.His blue eyes captured her gaze, locking and searching her eyes for a long time. Her heart slowed down from its frantic pace, but not all the way to normal.
Excitement still pulsed through her, triggered by the scent of his skin.She liked it…the way he smelled. Shocking, mysterious, and slightly overwhelming, but there was no denying that she found it attractive. The flare of hunger in his gaze mesmerized her. Her pride enjoyed knowing that she aroused him.
“Will ye marry me, Bronwyn McQuade?”His voice was husky and rough. It tempted her with that edginess because the part of her that had lamented never having a husband, wanted to say yes.
But she refused to be another blow in a feud. It would be nothing but a way to strike at her sire, and her father would use it as an excuse to shed blood. Possibly Cullen’s blood. Pain nipped at her heart. The frustration of her entire life ripping and tearing at her conscience. There were no good choices, only ones that would hurt others.
“Ye have stolen me, and that is no way to begin a marriage.” He snarled softly at her, his fingers curling. But she refused to take back her words.
Wow! Pretty hot, hmm? Makes me want to head back to the bookstore yet again ... Question of the Day: Mary's book took me back to the first romance novel I ever read, Highland Velvet by Jude Deveraux, whose main character was also named Bronwyn. So tell me, what was the first romance novel you can remember reading?

28 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Paranormal Romance counts, Dark Demon by Christine Feehan. I haven't strictly just read a book in the genre of Romance. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    The first romance i ever read was "Anna and the Duke" by Kathryn Smith. I picked it up at the time because the main character was named Ewan and i was terribly in love with Ewan McGregor at the time. My 16 year old self didn't even realize it was a romance. lol I became hooked after that. ^^

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. First Romance novel that I remember reading was "A Knight in Shining Armor" (Book 16 in the Montgomery series) released in (1989) by
    Jude Deveraux. I would so love to have been Dougless Montgomery and found my own Knight like Nicholas, in the modern everyday real world I am married to mine for almost 29 years now! This book that Mary Wine has written resonates with me in the same fashion..

    jackie b central texas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, this book sounds great! The excerpt totally hooked me! :-)

    The first romance I read was THE PRIDE OF HANNAH WADE by Janet Dailey. I read it back in the 90's and was captivated by the adventure and the romance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Except is great. Can't remember first romance--too long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first romance was a Zebra historical by Sylvie Sommerfield, Wild Wyoming Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first romance book that I read was Johanna Lindsey's Man of My Dreams. It got me hooked and I haven't stopped reading romance, since.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary!

    Wow this sounds like a great book!! :)

    The first romance I can remember reading was probably Wedding In White by Diana Palmer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started reading romance in fifth grade, after reading all the classics and YAs in my bookstore. Like I said, my first ones were Jude Deveraux's Velvet series followed by Nora's MacGregor series and a bunch of Diana Palmer Silhouettes. I've been hooked since I was ten :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't remember what it was called. I picked it up at my library. They have a bunch of romance books that you can keep for free, so I tried one out. It wasn't real great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me it was Sandra Brown's Words Of Silk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know which one, but definitively one by Susan Elisabeth Phillips - she writes fantastic and I won't miss her books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excerpt was great!

    I can't exactly remember my first romance, but I know Hummingbird by LaVyrle Spencer was one of the firsts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't enter me in this contest since I already read Mary's book. I very much enjoyed it and will be looking forward to more of her works.

    My answer though is The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen Woodiwiss, followed immediately by her other book A Rose in Winter. It was a double-header when I read both of them as a home from school sick 12-year-old.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read my first romance novel over 55 years ago. Can't remember the name, but it was by Barbara Cartland.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I started reading romance novels when I was thirteen, my first one was called Master of Ecstasy by Nina Bangs. Even though it was a paranormal romance, I was completely hooked after that and I've wanted to read and write romance novels ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My first romance was Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dance With The Devil. I never get tired of reading that book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG! I remember Highland Velvet! I loved it so much I had to read the rest of the Velvet series! I STILL have it! I think Jude's are my first Historical romances!
    But my very first romance is the first of the now debunked series of LOVESWEPT called "The Valkerie" by Iris Johansen.
    I still follow Johansen's books.
    You always remember your first!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't remember the name but I can tell you it was an Emilie Loring book. My first seriously sexy romance book was The Flame And The Flower.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really don't remember the first romance novel. Too many books and too much time has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The first romance I ever read was Whitney, my Love by Judith McNaught. This Mary Wine book looks really good. I'd love to become a new fan. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It was either Rosemary Rogers or Kathleen Woodiwiss, I can't remember, it's been so many years. Whichever it was definitely hooked me on romance novels!! I must say this book by Miss Wine sounds terrific..

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't quite remember which was first but it was either Catherine Coutler's Moon Spun Magic or Johanna Lindsey's Joining.

    I just bought Mary Wine's Stranger in my Bed. I'd very much love to read In the Warrior's Bed as well (crosses fingers).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great excerpt. The first romance novel I remember reading was Dark Destiny by Feehan.

    Gabrielle
    meingee@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I remember the title but not the author. It was called Savage Storm. It was a historical set in the Old West. I still have it in a box somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't remember! I'd be reading YA romances for a while when my geometry classmate lent me a "grown up" one--that was the start of an addiction ;) It's been decades and thousands of books since...

    f dot chen at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  28. One of the or THE first romance I read was also by Jude Deveraux it was: A Knight in Shining Armor, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete