Sunday, January 31, 2010

Movie Monday: Whip It


I finally remembered to return my Netflix and three new movies magically appeared in my post office box the other day, including this one. And I have to say, I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!! Featuring Ellen page of Juno glory, Drew Barrymore (who also directed it) and Juliette Lewis, this movie rocked. It was great fun to watch and the fact that the story started out as a YA book and takes place here in my adopted hometown of Austin, TX, just made it sweeter.

The movie follows Babe Ruthless, as she goes from typical high school student in a tiny town-- whose mother forces her to compete in pageants that she hates to an overnight Roller Derby sensation. It's a great girl power movie, with underlying subplots that really hit on the fact that you have to like yorself before you can expect a guy to like you, that you have to stand up for yourself because no one else will, and that girl friendships are the best thing in the world.

I really enjoyed it-- particularly seeing one of my favorite actresses, Drew Barrymore, playing a character named Smashley who likes to do just that-- smash into other players and beat the hell out of them. If you're looking for a rollicking fun movie with a serious underside, this one is for you!
How about you-- anyone see Whip It? Or any other good chick flicks lately?

2 comments:

  1. No, but when I saw the trailer for it... I was like that is going to be a kick butt movie! I am glad that you liked it. I have not seen any chick flicks lately. =( I read to much, lmbo!
    I hope your Monday is going great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is going well. I'm on the home stretch of my next Superromance, so I'm pleased to be almost done with it :)

    ReplyDelete