Monday, June 29, 2009

Welcome to Movie Monday!


As this is the first official Movie Monday, I figured I should write about a romance/romantic comedy/chick lit type movie-- and the one I chose is one I just saw on DVD this weekend (God Bless Netflix).


Anyway, I was a bit skeptical about The Ramen Girl, a movie starring Brittany Murphy trying to be a Ramen chef in Japan, after her American boyfriend just up and dumps her. But I was pleasantly surprised-- the movie was really good. So good that my husband and twelve-year-old son got hooked and watched it with me. Seeing as how they usually run for the hills when I mention the word romantic comedy, I was impressed.


But this movie isn't your typical romantic comedy-- sure, there's a girl and a guy and they do fall in love, but the story's conflict really revolves around Brittany Murphy's character as she discovers herself. The black sheep in a family of overachievers, she's never been able to stick to anything in her life-- until this. And though it's hard (God, is it hard-- she works for a tyrant with a heart of gold) she decides that this is the one thing in her life she is going to follow through with. And she does, in a very heartwarming, amusing story that sucked me in.


Anyway, if you like feel-good movies with a little love, a little laughter and lots of interesting characters, this one's for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment